Wednesday, February 22, 2012

pre-writing work

 

 

Anything hand-write-y is SO hard with Trevy.  We’re battling his focus.  Plus, because his fine motor skills are still so immature it makes purposeful writing a difficult task.  Trevy doesn’t do difficult.  Or at least not without torturing his mommy (and therapists…teachers…aides…) who are crazy enough to make him try!

 

trevy handwriting 006

 

But he’s so very interested in letters right now.  And spelling his name.  Not to mention he has made gains.  He can write a mean T and O – which he must always turn into a face.  Because a circle is just begging to be accessorized with dots for eyes and a crooked line for a smile.  In love

 

trevy handwriting 007

 

I’m taking full advantage of his interest!  Handwriting sheets live in his Trays now. 

 

trevy handwriting 010

 

And was super happy when one of my fave homeschool mommy bloggers (1+1+1=1) posted some FREE letter tracing printables the other day!  I mean, I really want to buy Handwriting Without Tears workbooks.  I’ve added things to my cart but never checked out.  Somehow it’s just much easier to click print than purchase.  Smile with tongue out

 

trevy handwriting 011

 

I love love love how she uses a green dot to represent the starting point and a red star the ending point!  So wonderfully visual!  I was like, duh, why didn’t I think of that!?

 

trevy handwriting 012

 

In fact, I’m going to go green and red Sharpie crazy!

 

trevy handwriting 013

 

I like to either laminate printables or pop them in a page protector so he can use dry erase tools.  This mama knows how to stretch a dollar.

 

trevy handwriting 015

 

Did you notice the groovy green binder?  I stole that idea from Trevy’s preschool teacher.  Slanted surfaces make writing projects easier.  Click here to read all the benefits of using a slant board if you don’t believe me!

 

trevy handwriting 016

 

While Trevy was working, his sister (evidently a future movie producer) was taking video clips.  For me “to load on YouTube” (her words).

 

trevy handwriting 017

 

Being a YouTube movie star happens to be a great Trevy motivator as you’ll notice in the clip below.  In love

 

This video clip represents the actual amount of time Trevy worked on this project minus a minute or so when I hand over handed with him.  All the still pictures can be SO misleading.  Like we spend 30 minutes happily penmanship-ing.  Which is just not even close to true!  I’m lucky to get 3 minutes in a row of Trevy focused and compliant.  In fact, I tried to get him to show daddy when he came home from work.  Yeah, that didn’t happen! 

 

 

Mooch Alert -  Any OTs out there who read my little blog, if you have pencil grip recommendations please share!  In fact, feel free to share any pointers you have with me!  Kindergarten is breathing down our necks…and I’d love to have Trevy writing his name in time for his first day!

 

…danielle

Pin It

9 comments:

Love for Lilly Yin said...

I have spent a ton of money on handgrips for my CP son. The thing that has worked the best for him is the weighted glove. After that it would be the different types of actual pencils, some weighted, some are shaped like a Y, so the finger goes through the top.

happy's mommy said...

Thank you SO much for the ideas! I've tried those cheesy little three finger tip pencil wraps for him...but those are pretty much not helpful at all. I'll look into the weighted glove...and Y pencil. :)

...danielle

patricia said...

One of the Handwriting Without Tears tricks is to use smaller crayons to encourage a tripod grasp. I would also reccommend using dry erase crayons rather than markers so that he can control the stop and start and receive more input through his hand and arm. Crayola makes a good set and breaking them in half will encourage him to use his fingers rather than a fist.

happy's mommy said...

Oh Patricia! What a great idea about less crayon! Another duh moment for me. :) But it makes me appreciate the professionals like you! I actually have some of those dry erase crayons...I've just never thought to break them. Of course...I'll have to reign in my OCD which thinks broken crayons are like nails on chalkboards. :P

Great great great tip!

...danielle

Your Therapy Source Inc said...

I, too , was going to suggest trying a smaller writing tool. Also, depends how long you have been working on writing, but his grasp is an early stage grasp (on the video) which may improve once he is more comfortable and motivated to write. Looks like you are giving him a great start! Does he receive OT now and did they have any suggestions. Got your email and plan on emailing you back now. Thank you for your interest.

Your Therapy Source Inc said...

Sorry just thought of something else. Children need a stable base to work off of to produce handwriting. Can he sit in a chair where he is well supported - feet on floor, hips and knees at 90 degrees. Not sure of his trunk control but just another thought.

patricia said...

Yeah, I freak everyone out when I break crayons! I don't think I even have any whole crayons in my office. Another idea that might help when working on the letters of his name is doing them really big on chart paper or whiteboard (using the dry erase crayons). I ususally have kiddos play the rainbow letter game. I write the letter really big (think 2-3 ft. tall) and then have them go over it with each color of the crayon set. This way I can slowly fade the hand over hand assist with each color until they are doing it themselves. The more of their body they can use the better! Works on crossing midline too.

happy's mommy said...

Therapy Source...he does get OT but only school based right now and it's only 30 mins weekly. Part of our dilemma is the closest pedi rehab facilities in our state are at least 30 minutes away. Hence all the trying to do it at home.

Patricia...your rainbow letter idea has me wanting to mount floor to ceiling whiteboards in the school room! <3

...danielle

Sinead said...

Danielle, Trevy is AWESOME. That is incredible work. I'd be jealous but I love him too much for that.

Try the handwriting with tears short chalks - they work great for grip and also get a mini chalkboard. You can buy that at HWT but I bet you can find one in the dollar store. The small ones are best.