Skip to main content

beating the drum

I know that I beat the ACTH drum loud & often.


But the fact is...ACTH is day by day proving to be our miracle drug. Trevor's seizures have now been in remission for FIVE MONTHS! He is by no means *out of the woods* - as his continued abnormal brain waves reveal. And every day the back of my mind wriggles reminding me that the relapse rate is 50%. And that Trevor's risk is higher based on his subclinical activity. And I also know that ACTH fails 50% of the time. I have friends who have gained seizure freedom via alternatives like Vigabatrin...Keppra...Lyrica...and others who are still trying to find theirs.


But I will always celebrate the fact that we've had THIS time gifted to us by ACTH.

This time of seizure freedom.

This time of continued development.

This time of hope.




But I wonder if other families will be robbed of THIS time with their babies? If they'll be forced to use alternatives that may not work because their insurance refuses to cover the cost? If they'll live with the depression of feeling that they couldn't provide their baby with a frontline treatment...because the price was more than they could afford out of pocket? More than a house in some states? I remember that feeling flooding my own heart when our insurance originally declined Trevor's treatment...



I wonder & worry because today I learned from a neurologist in our clinic that Questcor is now charging...



$60,000 a vial




And so here I am...disgusted. Reviled. Angry. At a loss. Distraught because I just don't know what else to do?


Comments

JSmith5780 said…
There are no words, fit for print, that can fully explain my outrage! And we didn't even use the stuff!

I would hope that Ovation Pharma can use this to help sway the FDA to approve Vigabatrin.
Dawson said…
I would like to beat the ACTH drum with you. I am sickened and disgusted at the price of one vial of this drug. Childrens lives and well being are at risk so that one group of people can stick more money in their pockets. It literally makes me sick to my stomach. ACTH helped Dawson tremendously. It completely stopped those hard Tonic seizures and it also stopped the Hypsarethmias (sp) which has allowed him to progress and develope well. He is still having seizures despite the treatment but its nothing like what it was before the ACTH injections. What if our insurance wouldnt pay?? where would Dawson be?? What is happening to the kids whos parents have no insurance?? IT JUST PLAIN OLE MAKES ME SICK!!!

On a side note, hope Trevor is doing well and wanted you to know we are praying for him
JSmith5780 said…
Read this, it says the cost per vial is only $23269
http://messages.finance.yahoo.com/Stocks_%28A_to_Z%29/Stocks_Q/forumview?bn=79779
read the topic "New Distribution Agreement"

To Dawson's parents...I hope the days between seizures keeps growing!
Danielle said…
Jen - I almost called you I was SO outraged. And then defeated. Honestly, what is it going to take? I'm ready to take Trevor & sit on the steps of Congress and MAKE them look at him. And listen! I am all for free-market...but this is outrageous. More times than not human greed when left unchecked becomes this beast that is Questcor. Grrrrrrrrrrrr! I'm going to check out the site you left now...

J & A - thanks for the prayers...and I'm with you. The ACTH issue sickens me.

Our prayers are with you & your little man too!

...danielle
Unknown said…
glad acthar helped trevor, but your friend is very wrong on the acthar pricing of $60k. furthermore, quesctor has been free acthar to anyone who's been denied by insurance. frankly, i don't know any other drug company who's currently doing that for people, especially infants and young children. i know you have good intentions, but it's really unfair for you to spread negative information on a company that helped your son, especially whent he information is wrong. God bless your family.
PL
Danielle said…
Patrick...

My thoughts on this issue are way too many to condense into a comment forum.

I have instead opt-ed to reply via a post...which can be found at

http://trevorshope.blogspot.com/2008/07/in-moderation.html

of by clicking my ACTH label and following down the the post titled "in moderation"

...danielle

Popular posts from this blog

I cried when I got the news

I felt like such a heel not going with Trevy for his first post hemi EEG. Yeeeeeees...Jonathan went with him. Yeeeeeees...he's just as good as me. But still! He's my baby! I was instead sitting on floor 6 east waiting for Neurology to get their boots here and help me sort out this medicine mess! Seriously it's like a bad joke...how many Neurologists does it take to write a bloody script? And fax prior authorizations? Cause Trevy's been back for hours now. And I'm STILL waiting! Anyway... Jonathan had just stepped out to meet the pizza delivery guy when Dr. EEG made his rounds. Of course I asked immediately if he had read the EEG. Of course he had. That's why he was there afterall. And I cried when he told me... that for the first time in almost two years. For the first time since this whole crazy mess began. my baby's EEG is completely normal! Side Note: It's super fun to sob in front of Japanese men and watch them squirm When I kept repeati...

I sure hope...

they grow back curly! Saw the "unknown" flashing on the face of my cell phone and knew who it was. Who it had to be. Dr. Fellow. My eyes met Grams' and I nodded. Grams has a pool, see. For super hot days like today. We're also having a septic installed. Which meant no water or facilities at my place. But those weren't really the reasons I was there. Close to mom. The purple ringing thing in my hand was. Only I wasn't prepared for it to be ringing SO darn soon. Shortly after lunch instead of dinner! I swallowed. Took a deep breath. And clicked connect. Dr. Fellow has a very nice phone tone. Clear. Hint of compassion. If only a stitch of humor were added...it'd be heavenly. But there was no humor. Just business. He's very direct. I'm learning that about him. Which explains his short hello. Followed by immediately pushing into the news. Being that it was a unanimous consensus. The entire surgical committee feels Trevor is a good candidate. And then p...

it's like being asked to the prom...

only MUCH MUCH bigger! I had noticed (yes...I stalk my site meter!) that a government ISP had logged onto Trevor's blog. Whoever it was had spent a good deal of time hanging out too. Followed a few minutes later by a government ISP...hailing from Washington. As in DC! My eyebrow raised. It was just kinda odd. Note-able odd. You know? Anyway...later that day (last week) I was folding laundry & thinking my crazy insane thoughts. Along these lines... I hope I'm not saying anything I shouldn't! Maybe I made somebody mad? Wait a minute! I live in America! I'm allowed to say anything I want! Aren't I???? A shout from the other room interrupted my thoughts before I had a chance to further mull. It was Jonathan. I had just received an email. **Side note...he's always doing that! Reading my emails! Sheesh!*** The said email was from a US Senator's aide! Asking if he could speak with me. Little ole' hardly has time to splash some make-up on ...