8.11.2008

Complimentary Questcor

I had an email in my inbox the other day. It was from another IS mommy. Enjoying vacation-land.

::smile::

She had opened up the complimentary USA Today which hotels these days are prone to leave on your stoop...and found the following article...not the online version either but the real-deal-printed-on-paper kind!



Prices for some drugs skyrocket

Drug companies are quietly pushing through price hikes of 100% — or even more than 1,000% — for a very small but growing number of prescription drugs, helping to drive up costs for insurers, patients and government programs.


The number of brand-name drugs with increases of 100% or more could double this year from four years ago, researchers from the University of Minnesota say. Many of the drugs are older products that treat fairly rare, but often serious or even life-threatening, conditions.


Among the examples: Questcor Pharmaceuticals last August raised the wholesale price on Acthar, which treats spasms in babies, from about $1,650 a vial to more than $23,000. Ovation raised the cost of Cosmegen, which treats a type of tumor, from $16.79 to $593.75 in January 2006.


The average wholesale price of 26 brand-name drugs jumped 100% or more in a single cost adjustment last year, up from 15 in 2004, the university study found. In the first half of this year, 17 drugs made the list.


"This does drive up the price of health care," says Alan Goldbloom, president of Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota. "Hospitals are either eating the cost or passing it along to insurers, so you and I are paying it in increased premiums." ...read more


A couple of observations...

I'm very happy to see the story hasn't died! I suppose the realist in me thought it may dead end. So the idealist in me is partying like crazy at the continued media coverage.

Even though the human interest angle (meaning Trevor) didn't make the article...it's still kinda *cool* to read a quote that my little ears heard in first-person. By Dr. Alan Goldbloom. Who by the way...leaned over & whispered to me right before the hearing began, "You know you're the star of the show, right?" I'm of the persuasion that the star was snuggled in his blankie napping on his daddy's lap right behind me. But I'm still a fan, Dr. Goldbloom!

Lastly...cause I'm still in kidney pain...the comments provide an addictive read as well. Don't be surprised if you find yourself fending off the temptation to leave your own two cents. Then again...don't fight the temptation! Yield! Use your little fingers if you dare!



2 comments:

silverdragoncub said...

Yeah! I made someone's blog. I didn't think that would ever happen. Back from a long day at Legoland. Time to go check the rest of the comments from today.

:)

Mama Skates said...

wow, u're right - those comments got me all fired up & ready to pounce! i'm glad it's still getting the media attention too!

u go gurl - u star, u!!! xoxox

sharon