2.14.2008

such a 1st grader

Your big brother is at such a fun age. I've always been a fan of 1st graders. So smart. So cute. So funny. The boys in particular.

I'm SO proud of how well he's doing with his school too! (btw a BIG thank-you to Grams! I wish I could adequately communicate how much your support & help has meant to me through all of this craziness! I couldn't be doing any of this without you! Seriously! I love you, Mom!)

Every morning Toby is dressed - teeth brushed - hair sometimes - and sitting on a stool in Grams' kitchen waiting for Super Teacher (aka Grams-to you. Mom-to me) to make her appearance. (btw...Yes...we're currently one of those crazy homeschooling families! ;o) Grams does most of the teaching. I get the crumbs...ahem...I mean reading time. And impressed is an understatement of how I feel about the skills he's acquired! My boy can read. Almost anything! Boxes of cereal. Commercials. Words I'm spelling to Daddy!

Today Tobes & I were curled up together on the couch and he was simply sailing through his reading lesson. Story about some kids on a farm. Cute. Story about the flag. Oh yeah...those colors do mean stuff.
Next came his word list...he was breezing through...

needed

landed

pointed

toasted

looking

calling

telling

...sailing through it...

summer

ladder

...UNTIL...

BUTT-er (get it...B-U-T-T...er. It was funny. Silly funny.)

...which incited a riot of laughter! From both of us I'm afraid! Silly is catchy. Maybe it's the silly that I like the most about 1st graders?
---
I hope you & I share the silly someday too, Trevy. My heart is aching with that hope!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok-- so I am commenting on your blog. I am impressed with Toby's progress, too. He really is the best student I ever had. So easy to motivate and wants to do a good job. I have to admit I really am enjoying homeschooling him. The only draw back is that I miss the time I used to spend with my "sweetie petitie"

BTW - what was all the compliments about? You want something-(wink)

Danielle said...

of course I want something! Sheesh...like I'd give away compliments for free?

...danielle

Anonymous said...

so what do you want?????????????????

Danielle said...

I already got it...a nice date with my hubby!

xoxoxo...danielle