3.17.2008

the strong silent type

Everybody knows we're watching your speech development for any signs of delay.

You're not much of a talker...although you enjoy being talked to.

And...that's not to say you don't know how to communicate.

For instance, if you want more cheerios banging on whatever makes the most noise ensues.

Daddy's favorite are the middle of the night bottle chucking. When you've sucked down enough milk the bottle is bouncing across the opposite wall faster than we can blink an eye!

Or like yesterday...when I plopped you in your toy laden high chair. I'm fairly certain the one that almost knocked me upside the head was a form of non-verbal communication!

**Seriously, people, this kid has an arm! And I KNOW he was aiming! Although it's hard to get mad when A) he looks SO cute & B) we're just so darn thrilled he's communicating...even if it means a knot on the side of the head!**


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. When I babysit I feel like I need to wear a helmet and other gear.


Danielle,
Maybe you can pass this onto Rebecca for me.
Which btw I was at Walmart on Sunday, so that was probably me you saw, Rebecca. Wish I would've noticed you because you have been on my heart so much lately. I would be nice to see you again and of course Ava.

Danielle said...

Speaking of communication - this morning we were playing with stuffed animals & there was a little puppy. I told Trev to kiss the puppy AND HE DID! 2x! Of course, Jonathan ran for the camera and he wouldn't kiss the pup again! Ugh!

Anyway...

I told Rebecca I thought it WAS you!

...danielle

JSmith5780 said...

Ok- 2 thoughts for you.

1) Signing Time videos. They are NOT cheap to buy but they are great. They teach basic sign language to toddlers. Supposedly PBS stations run the shows in the middle of the night. My kids LOVED these shows.

2) PECS- Picture exchange communication system. Essentially you place pictures of anything and everything (food, drink, toys, blankie,etc) on little cards. The first step is to show the child the picture, repeat the name, and give them the item. Eventually the child should give you the picture, you say the name and give the child the item. And then the final step would be the picture AND the name from the child. These steps could be months apart! I recommend printing the pictures and then laminating them. We put velcro on the back of ours and then velcrod them into a binder. Some peopl choose to put magnents on the back and put them on the fridge.

Good luck. He'll get there! Eventually you'll want him to STOP talking so much!!

Danielle said...

I'm already telling the two big kids to hush all the time! :O)

I've been thinking about taking a baby signing class...but Trev's hand coordination isn't great and I've been concerned that he'd get frustrated...

Although I'm very interested in those vids...I'll have to check them out. I still have an Amazon.com Christmas gift to use!

Annnnd...I've been very curious about the PECS idea. I've been kinda waiting for EI to move forward on that...but you make it sound so simple? Printing & laminating pics is something my mom & I could do no prob!

Thanks...

...danielle

JSmith5780 said...

You can ABSOLUTELY do it no problem...now stop blogging and go buy laminating stuff ;)

Danielle said...

lol...

okay okay...

I'm going...

...danielle