7.23.2008

if it sounds like it couldn't possible be true...

Trust me...


I wish to God it weren't!



So we jet off to board our very first Amtrak ever...DC bound.



And things were going really well. In fact, J & I couldn't help but pat ourselves on the back at our brilliance. No air delay or traffic jam concerns for us. We were training it...chugging steadly along.


About an hour outside of our destination the train came to a halt. I thought we were possibly waiting for another engine to pass...and so didn't think much of it. J woke up...Trevor still zonked & sprawled on his lap...and asked what was up. I shrugged. Just then the conductor's voice crackled over the shoddy speaker system...


and I kid you not...this is the best of what I remember him saying...


"Ladies & Gentlemen...a tree had fallen across the track in front of us...and due to low visability we did not see it...and we hit the tree head on. It smashed the front windshield out and there will be a delay of unknown time...thank you for your patience."


We were mortified! And utterly exhausted.


Sooo...our 1 AM arrival turned into a 4 AM arrival. I may have gotten two hours of sleep? Possibly?


SO not the way I was hoping to start our whirlwind tour...but at least we're here. And there's unlimited java!

6 comments:

JSmith5780 said...

never a dull moment! Enjoy the City!!

Mama Skates said...

oh my goodness - what a freak thing to happen! glad u made it safely - good luck lady!!!!!!! xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. Hubby and I experienced this last year coming home from NYC from a baseball game.(but our train didn't hit the tree, our conductor got the word before we got that far) But our train dumped us off in the middle of nowhere in a THUNDERSTORM. Now the station they left us at had NO shelter what-so-ever so there are a bunch of us, standing in the pouring rain, freezing next to metal train tracks during a lightning storm....*sigh* We should have been home by 10 pm....we finally rolled in about 1 am. and drenched. Needless to say, we were NOT happy. But we did get free round trip train tix for the next time we go down for a baseball game. :)

Danielle said...

Okay...so your story totally tops mine! lol I'm SO glad that they didn't have to boot us!

Although...how'd you get the free tix?!?! They didn't so much as offer us a free snack!

...danielle

La Familia Garcia said...

That is AMAZING! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I called and complained! At first the guy was like, well what do you want me to do...that attitude made me lose it and he quickly put me on hold to ask his supervisor to approve free tix. :)

But now that I think about it it was the Metro North that kicked us off, it was Amtrack that picked us up an hour and a half later to continue on to Poughkeepsie where we had parked our car. And by then the rain had stopped and we got on the train soaking wet and they had the a/c on...good thing it was fleece blanket giveaway night at Shea!!!