Skip to main content

the healthy kid

Toby's my healthy kid.


I swear he hasn't been sick once since the last time he had malaria. Which was just over two years ago now.


Both Toby & Bri had malaria 3x each while we played missionary in Tanzania. Jonathan & I lived malaria free the entire term...which is kinda a miracle. But just over a month into our adventure Toby gave us a big scare. We were in the middle of stinkin' nowhere...although the indigenous would (wrongly) disagree with that evaluation. Because seriously...the nearest (real) hospital was over two hours away. Provided there was no traffic. And Toby's little malaria-infested parasites didn't want to give up the ghost. His fever kept rising...until he was delerious talking.


A local doctor...

African Witch Doctor Pictures, Images and Photos

(affectionately nicked "which doctors" by a fellow lingo school friend...because they would look at you and ask, "Which sickness do you think you have? Which medicine do you think we should give you?". And in VERY broken English would typically end the visit pronouncing you with either malaria or the flu regardless of symptoms) gave us some little yellow pills that he promised would rid Toby of the malaria. We were able to get the pills down our pathetically sick little four-year old's throat.


Only to see a bright red rash immediately cover his entire body. And puffer-fish his face.


There was an emergency (meaning not local...but at least English speaking) doctor to call. We frantically dialed his number and blubbered everything. By this point I was (ready to hop the next plane home) freaking out! He educated me that those little yellow pills are Sulfa based. And we were discovering that Toby was allergic. He calmly informed me that Toby's skin may start to bubble into open sores...and if that were to happen we should immediately pack the kids and head to the (real) hospital. In the meantime we were to keep him pumped with Benadryl. And NEVER EVER give him Sulfa again.


Obviously Toby survived. And quite healthily too. Other than seasonal allergies.


So last night when he said he was itchy I gave him a shot of Benedryl and told him to stop itching already. It was annoying. I was really shocked when he showed me his HEAD to TOE rash this morning!


Poor guy...I've had so much non-Toby health drama this year that I kinda got used to him being my healthy kid. And I felt really bad when Dr. Pedi said it looked like scarlet fever! Sheesh! A negetive throat swab at least let me off the Super Bad Mommy hook. Her best guess is that it's viral. She prescribed Benadryl, Cortizone Cream and Oatmeal baths.


And I promised Toby a day of babying (which does not equal school-free when one does their studying at home!) and a much hunkered after Cherry Coke.


Hopefully that'll get me back onto the Good Mommy grid!


::smile::

Comments

JSmith5780 said…
Love that he say he hasn't been sick, since malaria... like malaria is the most normal thing :)

I hope Toby is feeling better soon. Austin has had a mild case of the flu followed by stomach cramps. I did finally send him today. He has enough trouble with school without missing 4 days!

Wow, a week til closing, AWESOME!!
Mama Skates said…
poor toby - hope he's not so itchy soon!
Shanna Grimes said…
Poor Toby! I have to say, this post did make me chuckle though. The first thing I say was the wide smiling witch doctor! We could use one today :( We have been hunkered down with the sickies.

The Aveeno Oatmeal baths are great. I have a lot of skin rash issues and it is very soothing. Also the Aveeno Skin Relief Moisturizing Lotion with Cooling Menthol is a must have!! I use it regularly and it really relieves the itchy feeling. It also has oatmeal in it.

I am itchy just thinking about his rash!! Poor thing!
Jonathan said…
Sickness is taking over mommy world everywhere! Ugh for all of us!

Jen...btw I'm going too. I *unofficially* heard that you & MB would be there as well!

Shanna...I KNEW you'd geta kick outta this post! To be fair our *which* doctors wore white coats...

...danielle
Anonymous said…
You would have won me round with the cherry coke. One (maybe two) and I am anyone's.

Give him a scratch from us.
Poor guy. Connor had one of those viral rashes before, they are scary looking. i must say..that Dr is HOT!! is he single? ha ha ha!! Yummy cherry Coke...sounds good to me. Feel better soon Toby!
JSmith5780 said…
I am glad you "unoffically" heard... I haven't :)

But thanks to you, at least I have a tentative date on my schedule. I HOPE I am allowed to fraternize with the speakers. I will be so mad if we both go, but we can't get a chance to talk!
Danielle said…
ian...you're a cheap date eh?

monica...I spewed coffee all over my jamies! I have his number if you're still interested! *wink*

jen...I've always been a rule breaker! *grin*

...danielle
Anonymous said…
I consider myself 'value for money' rather than cheap....

Sorry to hear about the vigabatrin - we were similarly lulled with expectation.....

Ian

Popular posts from this blog

I cried when I got the news

I felt like such a heel not going with Trevy for his first post hemi EEG. Yeeeeeees...Jonathan went with him. Yeeeeeees...he's just as good as me. But still! He's my baby! I was instead sitting on floor 6 east waiting for Neurology to get their boots here and help me sort out this medicine mess! Seriously it's like a bad joke...how many Neurologists does it take to write a bloody script? And fax prior authorizations? Cause Trevy's been back for hours now. And I'm STILL waiting! Anyway... Jonathan had just stepped out to meet the pizza delivery guy when Dr. EEG made his rounds. Of course I asked immediately if he had read the EEG. Of course he had. That's why he was there afterall. And I cried when he told me... that for the first time in almost two years. For the first time since this whole crazy mess began. my baby's EEG is completely normal! Side Note: It's super fun to sob in front of Japanese men and watch them squirm When I kept repeati...

I sure hope...

they grow back curly! Saw the "unknown" flashing on the face of my cell phone and knew who it was. Who it had to be. Dr. Fellow. My eyes met Grams' and I nodded. Grams has a pool, see. For super hot days like today. We're also having a septic installed. Which meant no water or facilities at my place. But those weren't really the reasons I was there. Close to mom. The purple ringing thing in my hand was. Only I wasn't prepared for it to be ringing SO darn soon. Shortly after lunch instead of dinner! I swallowed. Took a deep breath. And clicked connect. Dr. Fellow has a very nice phone tone. Clear. Hint of compassion. If only a stitch of humor were added...it'd be heavenly. But there was no humor. Just business. He's very direct. I'm learning that about him. Which explains his short hello. Followed by immediately pushing into the news. Being that it was a unanimous consensus. The entire surgical committee feels Trevor is a good candidate. And then p...

it's like being asked to the prom...

only MUCH MUCH bigger! I had noticed (yes...I stalk my site meter!) that a government ISP had logged onto Trevor's blog. Whoever it was had spent a good deal of time hanging out too. Followed a few minutes later by a government ISP...hailing from Washington. As in DC! My eyebrow raised. It was just kinda odd. Note-able odd. You know? Anyway...later that day (last week) I was folding laundry & thinking my crazy insane thoughts. Along these lines... I hope I'm not saying anything I shouldn't! Maybe I made somebody mad? Wait a minute! I live in America! I'm allowed to say anything I want! Aren't I???? A shout from the other room interrupted my thoughts before I had a chance to further mull. It was Jonathan. I had just received an email. **Side note...he's always doing that! Reading my emails! Sheesh!*** The said email was from a US Senator's aide! Asking if he could speak with me. Little ole' hardly has time to splash some make-up on ...