Skip to main content

never ask twice

Several months ago I was contacted by the Epilepsy Foundation. They asked if I would be willing to participate in the pending Vigabatrin FDA hearing on their behalf.


Flattered as I was...Trevy's spasms had literally just resurfaced. And my AED knowledge was limited to ACTH. Not to mention my emotional status was fluctuating between basket case & zombie mommy. So I declined.


::smile::


But not without giving them the name of someone I felt would be a perfect fit. She has a virtual vault of Vigabatrin knowledge. And personal passion blended in as well. A perfect match.


As far as I was concerned that chapter was closed. And other than a stray thought here & there life zoomed onward until the FDA hearing became just a blurry crossing-my-fingers-for-approval-mixed-with-OVATION-apprehension event in the future.


Until...


a couple weeks ago I was contacted again.


These people are persistent!


::wink::


This time gave me pause. My zombie mommy days are less frequent. I think. And with Trev currently trialing Vigabatrin...I have a deeper understanding of the financial toll non-FDA approved drugs can have on the families forced to use them. I also have a personal idea of the "risks" parents are willing to take in the search for seizure freedom. These "risks" that are an intricate part of why Vigabatrin is not currently FDA approved.


After discussing this opportunity with those closest to me...and those who would be affected by my answer...


I finally said YES!


Soooooo...early January 09 I'll be boarding a DC bound plane. Facing my flight-fright head on. Because Trevy (along with all the other babies currently or in the future trialing Vigabatrin) is worth it!


Comments

Mrs. M said…
Wuhoo!
That's fantastic!!
You'll do a fabulous job presenting and all babies needing/using Vig. will benefit.
Thank you & thanks to your family for giving you up a little so that you can travel.
JSmith5780 said…
Can't WAIT to see you in person. Jeff says I can go regardless of the fact I am not needed by the FDA this time!

Shanna- wanna fly out too?!?
Mama Skates said…
so, u (& jen) r coming 2 my neck of the woods again - how exciting! glad they were persistent! u're so awesome - i'm so proud of u!!!

xoxox,
sharon
Shanna Grimes said…
OMG!! That is fantastic. They couldn't have picked a better person to *bug* twice :)

You are going to be a busy busy lady!! New house and now this! Wow! I am seriously impressed!

Want to really get going on those other projects. Really itching to do some dev, but with the holidays, just haven't had time.

Popular posts from this blog

I cried when I got the news

I felt like such a heel not going with Trevy for his first post hemi EEG. Yeeeeeees...Jonathan went with him. Yeeeeeees...he's just as good as me. But still! He's my baby! I was instead sitting on floor 6 east waiting for Neurology to get their boots here and help me sort out this medicine mess! Seriously it's like a bad joke...how many Neurologists does it take to write a bloody script? And fax prior authorizations? Cause Trevy's been back for hours now. And I'm STILL waiting! Anyway... Jonathan had just stepped out to meet the pizza delivery guy when Dr. EEG made his rounds. Of course I asked immediately if he had read the EEG. Of course he had. That's why he was there afterall. And I cried when he told me... that for the first time in almost two years. For the first time since this whole crazy mess began. my baby's EEG is completely normal! Side Note: It's super fun to sob in front of Japanese men and watch them squirm When I kept repeati...

I sure hope...

they grow back curly! Saw the "unknown" flashing on the face of my cell phone and knew who it was. Who it had to be. Dr. Fellow. My eyes met Grams' and I nodded. Grams has a pool, see. For super hot days like today. We're also having a septic installed. Which meant no water or facilities at my place. But those weren't really the reasons I was there. Close to mom. The purple ringing thing in my hand was. Only I wasn't prepared for it to be ringing SO darn soon. Shortly after lunch instead of dinner! I swallowed. Took a deep breath. And clicked connect. Dr. Fellow has a very nice phone tone. Clear. Hint of compassion. If only a stitch of humor were added...it'd be heavenly. But there was no humor. Just business. He's very direct. I'm learning that about him. Which explains his short hello. Followed by immediately pushing into the news. Being that it was a unanimous consensus. The entire surgical committee feels Trevor is a good candidate. And then p...

it's like being asked to the prom...

only MUCH MUCH bigger! I had noticed (yes...I stalk my site meter!) that a government ISP had logged onto Trevor's blog. Whoever it was had spent a good deal of time hanging out too. Followed a few minutes later by a government ISP...hailing from Washington. As in DC! My eyebrow raised. It was just kinda odd. Note-able odd. You know? Anyway...later that day (last week) I was folding laundry & thinking my crazy insane thoughts. Along these lines... I hope I'm not saying anything I shouldn't! Maybe I made somebody mad? Wait a minute! I live in America! I'm allowed to say anything I want! Aren't I???? A shout from the other room interrupted my thoughts before I had a chance to further mull. It was Jonathan. I had just received an email. **Side note...he's always doing that! Reading my emails! Sheesh!*** The said email was from a US Senator's aide! Asking if he could speak with me. Little ole' hardly has time to splash some make-up on ...