11.02.2016

it's okay to acknowledge

Lesson I've learned while walking beside and loving my child with catastrophic epilepsy...


It's okay...


even more than okay...


it's crucial...


to acknowledge his limitations. 


There are so many things that Trevor can do. So many things we never thought he'd be able to.


But...


there are also many things he can't do. Crowds and noise, for example. I thought we might have to leave his sister's ballet recital the other day because he was *this* close to losing his marbles. Once the marbles are lost, there is no calming him. Thankfully, I'd packed his noise canceling headphones. It was really an after-thought because they're not usually enough. He's always surprising us, though, and somehow he pulled himself together and even managed a forced smile for me. 





This is only one example, but the face is we are face-to-face with various limitations and challenges he faces, both physical and intellectual, as a direct result of his epilepsy. I believe deep in acknowledging his needs and weaknesses so that we can set him up for the most success possible.


Also...and this is kinda a pet-peeve for me...


When we minimize his struggles, we minimize his miracles.







No comments: