6.14.2017

dripping

Tobin came to find me; the boys had been playing Mario Kart. His face was grim; his eyes sad. I knew his words before he uttered them. Even still, I waited. I know how important it is to have someone bear this sorrow with you.


He'd held Trevor through a seizure. He'd felt his brother's body pulsing. He tried to talk to him even though he was unresponsive.


My shoulders like lead, I dropped what I was working on. Trevor was sitting Indian style, quiet and placid after the storm, on a turquoise IKEA chair. When he noticed me, he reached his left arm out for a hug. His right arm remained limp at his side. Probably still weak from the seizure.


I wrapped my arms around his little body and asked him if it was over. His head nodded yes against my shoulder. I felt his left hand softly patting my back in a way that seemed as if he were trying to comfort me


These moments are dripping with dread and sweet sadness.


And ever my heart cries out...


Even so come. 

No comments: