Skip to main content

Man of Sorrows

When your child's health is in crisis, breathing alone requires more energy than you have to give.



Trevor's health is in crisis. 



He had a seizure this week that left us shaking and edgy. Hoping to God that we never see the like again. Praying the Diastat can stay hidden in the cabinet, not sitting there on the counter top taunting our hearts with it's horrible meaning. That prompted his neurologist to prescribe Ativan in addition to everything else. That has his neuro-surgeon emailing reminders his experience with radical brain surgery is heavy on the hope. That boils regrets to the surface, knowing we begged them to spare his motor strip when he was a toddler. Before words, so many beautiful words, and reading skills, and joy of free-limb movement, were known quantities and therefore grieve-ables when lost.



Dear God...



There were so many things I wanted to do this summer. Ghosts of plans undone in my day planner. Friends our hearts wanted to laugh and live beside. Zoo days, beaches, hikes...



all beyond overwhelming to contemplate. Because breathing is all I can do at the moment.



Disability impacts so much more than the body that bravely carries it daily.  Catastrophic epilepsy affects the entire family.  Every fiber of who we are and all the moments we live.  In ways, both direct and indirect, deep and small, it even effects those whose lives touch ours.



I don't always wax so somber in the morning. Lately, though, I fall asleep with a heavy aching in my marrow and wake to more of the same. A thought flitted through my heart the other day and it was this: people of faith, especially, have trouble processing our family. They're frightened by us, I think. Like our sorrow is catchy. That surely our grief speaks to a lack of faith or deep seated unbelief. Oh they've read the book of Job and think they understand. Until they meet a family like ours, whose lives are torn apart by deep, prolonged, grief. Smiles are far more comfortable than sorrows. Tears rained down my cheeks, dripping on to my knees, as I puddled on the cement floor of our basement. Surrounded by laundry and pain. My heart groaning, without words, because there is a pain which flows deeper than language.


It is in that space, I have learned, the peace that passes understanding dwells.


And in that moment, a still, small voice, whispered into my heart...



Jesus...Man of Sorrows...



Such comfort rich words. HE knows my pain.  He walked intimately with sorrow.  I am persuaded when Scripture says He looked out over Jerusalem and was moved, deeply, with compassion, that amongst those homes were families like ours. Living face-to-face with brokenness and clinging to faith. Their pain was not dismissed by Him. He was moved and wept.



Though it may flow counter-intuitively, my sorrow has deepened my Savior. He is more beautiful to me than ever. And the Hope of that which is to come is my heart's deepest longing.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I cried when I got the news

I felt like such a heel not going with Trevy for his first post hemi EEG. Yeeeeeees...Jonathan went with him. Yeeeeeees...he's just as good as me. But still! He's my baby! I was instead sitting on floor 6 east waiting for Neurology to get their boots here and help me sort out this medicine mess! Seriously it's like a bad joke...how many Neurologists does it take to write a bloody script? And fax prior authorizations? Cause Trevy's been back for hours now. And I'm STILL waiting! Anyway... Jonathan had just stepped out to meet the pizza delivery guy when Dr. EEG made his rounds. Of course I asked immediately if he had read the EEG. Of course he had. That's why he was there afterall. And I cried when he told me... that for the first time in almost two years. For the first time since this whole crazy mess began. my baby's EEG is completely normal! Side Note: It's super fun to sob in front of Japanese men and watch them squirm When I kept repeati...

I sure hope...

they grow back curly! Saw the "unknown" flashing on the face of my cell phone and knew who it was. Who it had to be. Dr. Fellow. My eyes met Grams' and I nodded. Grams has a pool, see. For super hot days like today. We're also having a septic installed. Which meant no water or facilities at my place. But those weren't really the reasons I was there. Close to mom. The purple ringing thing in my hand was. Only I wasn't prepared for it to be ringing SO darn soon. Shortly after lunch instead of dinner! I swallowed. Took a deep breath. And clicked connect. Dr. Fellow has a very nice phone tone. Clear. Hint of compassion. If only a stitch of humor were added...it'd be heavenly. But there was no humor. Just business. He's very direct. I'm learning that about him. Which explains his short hello. Followed by immediately pushing into the news. Being that it was a unanimous consensus. The entire surgical committee feels Trevor is a good candidate. And then p...

it's like being asked to the prom...

only MUCH MUCH bigger! I had noticed (yes...I stalk my site meter!) that a government ISP had logged onto Trevor's blog. Whoever it was had spent a good deal of time hanging out too. Followed a few minutes later by a government ISP...hailing from Washington. As in DC! My eyebrow raised. It was just kinda odd. Note-able odd. You know? Anyway...later that day (last week) I was folding laundry & thinking my crazy insane thoughts. Along these lines... I hope I'm not saying anything I shouldn't! Maybe I made somebody mad? Wait a minute! I live in America! I'm allowed to say anything I want! Aren't I???? A shout from the other room interrupted my thoughts before I had a chance to further mull. It was Jonathan. I had just received an email. **Side note...he's always doing that! Reading my emails! Sheesh!*** The said email was from a US Senator's aide! Asking if he could speak with me. Little ole' hardly has time to splash some make-up on ...