8.31.2017

work interrupted

Our morning work was interrupted by a seizure. Sometimes he's able to carry on after an episode. Bigger events leave him yawning and tired. He was yawny after this one. 


I let him flip through our literature reading for the day while he recovered. Along with feeling the pages pass over his finger tips, he loves looking at the pictures and remembering the stories we've shared thus far. I consider these narrations, or signs of comprehension and growth. They are always sweet and rarely when asked for expected. A new delight is looking at the page numbers and feeling accomplished when noticing larger numbers. Evidence that he's beginning to understand the concept of time and energy spent and size differentials. 




The Children's Book of Virtues is one of his favorite reads. I didn't anticipate his heart connecting so deeply, but it has. I'm sure the beautiful illustrations complementing the living stories play a role in his relationship. Sometimes I wish I were artistically gifted so I could illustrate all the beautiful books I want to infuse his heart and mind with, many of which are filled with words and no images. 


One of his most beloved tales is The Little Hero of Holland which is amongst the first pages. He nostalgically flipped through the story and then zoomed forward to where our bookmark currently sits...page 77.


Mom, we on page 77 now! 


He paused before continuing with awe and pride...


And me still remember about Peter (Holland's little hero). That's amazing! 


I squeezed his knee and flashed a smile at him. I could tell by the responsive sparkle in his eyes, he read my heart shining from mine. He is remarkable. A beautiful blessed gift. 

No comments: