5.16.2018

testing is hard

Standardized testing is hard...




Swinging between sections helps!


I've decided to administer the California Achievement Test with Trevor this year to give me a good snapshot of his skills. Though he's entering 5th grade, I've opted to use the 2nd grade testing. It's a good representation of his abilities and I'm a big believer in setting him up for success. We're using the online version and I'm providing support by operating the computer and reading as needed. He's really required minimal support and could probably do the computer himself as well, but being an entirely new format for him I've decided it's best for me to manage.


He was tired, but in an excellent mood! I think he actually kinda likes doing the testing with mom. It's something different and he's feeling proud of himself because he knows he's answering a lot of the questions correctly. Especially in the math section. He even blew me away with some of his numerical creativity in approaching problems that were new to him. It shows that he's truly understanding some of these mathematical applications and it warms my heart.


We had some sweet and humorous moments along the way.


Like that time he was supposed to identify which word needed to be capitalized in the following sentence: 


May i play with Harold? 


And instead he responded with, "I would totally love to play with Harold. He has a purple crayon!"


Or how about after a math section which included measuring the way he looked at his feet and said, "Mom, I know this is math. My toenails is too long!" 


He wasn't wrong either.


We took to the swing between each section because it's his favorite. He totally melted my heart with a conversation about his future. He told me not to worry as he's intending to live with his dad and I forever because...


"You be old you need me take care for you."

No comments: