5.14.2018

when last he saw mickey

This Trileptal increase has been so hard on him. He's exhausted and cognitively sluggish. I gave him a pass on his school work last week, which is to be expected when one spends their days in bed. Sigh. 


I am determined to push through this week, starting with today. There were tears, and not just his either. Oh how my heart aches for him. He just wants to be a little boy. There was much dissenting discussion around the topic of school work. He impressed me with his ability to articulate how he was feeling, and thereby self advocate. The sentence structure might have been imperfect, but I fully understood that he felt tired, sluggish, and frustrated. I fully understood that he feels writing and reading are particularly difficult for him, especially when he feels medicine tired. I listened to his heart. It was really the sweetest thing the way he spoke, tears wavering, and sighed, and looked relieved that I was really letting him vent. 


After hearing him out, I opted to skip all writing assignments for today. We did Bible, Read to Mom, Math, Phonics, Chores, and Outside Play. Not too shabby of a day! He did a wonderful joy buddy reading The Little Red Hen with me. (Treadwell readers are great!) He loved the story and needed minimal, if any, support. Although he did think the Red Hen needed manners because she wouldn't share her bread. He didn't understand the moral lesson that the other animals should have helped work before helping enjoy, and was quite adamant the the red hen was mean. Ha! 


My favorite, though, was how he added a "Hidden Mickey" to every number seven on his Math test because that's how old he was the last time we visited Disney. 



No comments: