Skip to main content

better said

Back in the day. When Jonathan and I (Toby too...Bristel didn't come along until right before we left for The Bush) were playing missionary. And thought we would be sporting a great tan for the rest of our lives.



Before we were hurled into Seizure Land face first...I mean.



We used to travel. A lot. It was part of the job description through our agency. We had to do our own fund raising.



Fund raising typically involved Public Speaking. Show and tell with the kids. Although frankly...you'd be surprised at how giddy a grown up can get playing Dress Up Like a Native! Gotta love goofy missionary stuff. Oh...and we had a cutsie little video. Which people *hearted*. Remember when Volkswagen had the funky commericals running. Like this one...






We parodied and called ourselves Foltzwagen. And because we couldn't resist being super cheesy ended our video with Prayers Wanted. Get it? Instead of Drivers Wanted...we said Prayers Wanted...



Oh never mind!



I told you it was cheesy.



But listen guys...we raised our funding super speedy. Like record breaking speedy. Not that we were competing or anything. (Visualize me imitating the John Stewart muffled cough "haaaackkk-onathan) I mean sheesh...missionaries aren't like that!



::wink::



Anyway...



I was getting somewhere with all this nostalgia.



Mostly I enjoyed everything about missionary life. But there were some things that got under my skin. Sleeping in strangers homes was a bit uncomfortable at times. Especially if it wasn't toddler proofed. For the love all that is holy people...I'm begging you...don't host a young missionary family who may have a little boy unable to resist the temptation of touching your model train display. Gracing the middle of your living room. Where you want us to sit. For hours. Eating cheetos and brownies. Sharing funny missionary life stories across the special model train display. That your dead son put together right before he passed! Seriously. Host an old couple. And it really really really made my skin crawl when Jonathan would give a great sermon (I was gonna try and think up some clever non-churchy sounding word rather than sermon. But I'm so over trying to be the sexy Christian). It wasn't Jonathan's sermons that made my skin crawl. It was the fact that...pastors...many many pastors...have a habit of summarizing guest speaker's sermons. Like somehow they are more capable of conveying what was just (brilliantly if I do say so myself) conveyed. The church peeps among us are probably groaning with me right about now. What is with that?! It's kinda arrogant. And annoying.



Because sometimes...



I know this is hard to believe...



Especially if you're a word smith...



And passionate...



N' stuff...



But sometimes...



Someone else actually says it better.



::gasp::



Which is why I'm not going to summarize. Not even a thought. Or feeling. Or word.



I'm just going to direct you here.



Where you can read everything I'd love to express. Only said better.



(I hope you know how much I love you, B. Thank you for spilling your guts! I am SO thankful to have you as a friend! xoxo)



Now the rest of you stop eavesdropping! Get over there and read it already!



Or else I just may start summarizing!

Comments

Adesta said…
wow....it's all I can say. But that Ava, she sure is a cutie!!!
labonte4 said…
I can't stop laughing right now because I was wondering why on earth my pathetic little blog that hasn't been updated in over a year was soo busy! LOL.
Danielle said…
Ummmm...yeah. Bout that. I did think I should maybe run it by you first. But then I was, like, easier to ask forgiveness!

...danielle
labonte4 said…
hahahahaha...thinking like me now. I like it. I'm glad you shared it.
JSmith5780 said…
OK, so I am going to admit that I watching the cheesy teen drama One Tree Hill, but is the passenger in the commercial Skills from the show? Anyone know?

Rebecca- I've taken to just checking FB for updates. Glad you posted again on the blog. Left you a message there.
blogzilly said…
Super...another blog to try to keep up with.

Grrrr....

:)

It's a good one though...
Danielle said…
Oh Ken...no worries. She only posts once every six months anyway! ;)

...danielle

Popular posts from this blog

I cried when I got the news

I felt like such a heel not going with Trevy for his first post hemi EEG. Yeeeeeees...Jonathan went with him. Yeeeeeees...he's just as good as me. But still! He's my baby! I was instead sitting on floor 6 east waiting for Neurology to get their boots here and help me sort out this medicine mess! Seriously it's like a bad joke...how many Neurologists does it take to write a bloody script? And fax prior authorizations? Cause Trevy's been back for hours now. And I'm STILL waiting! Anyway... Jonathan had just stepped out to meet the pizza delivery guy when Dr. EEG made his rounds. Of course I asked immediately if he had read the EEG. Of course he had. That's why he was there afterall. And I cried when he told me... that for the first time in almost two years. For the first time since this whole crazy mess began. my baby's EEG is completely normal! Side Note: It's super fun to sob in front of Japanese men and watch them squirm When I kept repeati...

I sure hope...

they grow back curly! Saw the "unknown" flashing on the face of my cell phone and knew who it was. Who it had to be. Dr. Fellow. My eyes met Grams' and I nodded. Grams has a pool, see. For super hot days like today. We're also having a septic installed. Which meant no water or facilities at my place. But those weren't really the reasons I was there. Close to mom. The purple ringing thing in my hand was. Only I wasn't prepared for it to be ringing SO darn soon. Shortly after lunch instead of dinner! I swallowed. Took a deep breath. And clicked connect. Dr. Fellow has a very nice phone tone. Clear. Hint of compassion. If only a stitch of humor were added...it'd be heavenly. But there was no humor. Just business. He's very direct. I'm learning that about him. Which explains his short hello. Followed by immediately pushing into the news. Being that it was a unanimous consensus. The entire surgical committee feels Trevor is a good candidate. And then p...

it's like being asked to the prom...

only MUCH MUCH bigger! I had noticed (yes...I stalk my site meter!) that a government ISP had logged onto Trevor's blog. Whoever it was had spent a good deal of time hanging out too. Followed a few minutes later by a government ISP...hailing from Washington. As in DC! My eyebrow raised. It was just kinda odd. Note-able odd. You know? Anyway...later that day (last week) I was folding laundry & thinking my crazy insane thoughts. Along these lines... I hope I'm not saying anything I shouldn't! Maybe I made somebody mad? Wait a minute! I live in America! I'm allowed to say anything I want! Aren't I???? A shout from the other room interrupted my thoughts before I had a chance to further mull. It was Jonathan. I had just received an email. **Side note...he's always doing that! Reading my emails! Sheesh!*** The said email was from a US Senator's aide! Asking if he could speak with me. Little ole' hardly has time to splash some make-up on ...