Skip to main content

hope remembers not

Refractory epilepsy is cruel.


Not only does it harm his body, it also plays with my heart and mind.



A good seizure day or two has me secretly hoping that maybe I've finally found the right combination to finally slay the dragon. Maybe it was that extra coconut oil, or that specific brand of magnesium, or the specially formulated B-6, or the new medication, maybe that was all he needed? And by the way, a good seizure day doesn't have to mean no seizures, simply fewer or less strong events will do. That's all it takes for my heart to begin brightening, like a drooping flower that feels the warmth of the sun begin touching her petals.



Hope is reckless and remembers not.



Positive, short term, responses to medications or natural therapies are known as honeymoon periods.



Hope has amnesia and forgets that Trevor is a honeymooner.



The trouble with honeymoons is that they all must end.



Shortly after posting a cheery status update on FaceBook the other day, Trevor came stumbling into the livingroom to find me. His face was asymmetrical. His right eye was deviating. His right arm elevating. These are all the tells that a seizure was beginning. Sometimes, as bizarre as it might sound to those who are epilepsy novices, he can sometimes continue talking through a seizure. The neuro-surgeon tells me this is positive, though he'll make no promises, regarding speech retention should we move forward with the completion of his hemispherectomy. Big seizures steal his words from him. I held him, eerily silent, feeling the clonic pulsing, as the seizure moved through his little boy body. This was not the kind of seizure that begets hope. By the end of the event hope lay in smithereens on the floor around us.



Catastrophic, refractory epilepsy, is so very, very cruel.



But hope has amnesia. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I cried when I got the news

I felt like such a heel not going with Trevy for his first post hemi EEG. Yeeeeeees...Jonathan went with him. Yeeeeeees...he's just as good as me. But still! He's my baby! I was instead sitting on floor 6 east waiting for Neurology to get their boots here and help me sort out this medicine mess! Seriously it's like a bad joke...how many Neurologists does it take to write a bloody script? And fax prior authorizations? Cause Trevy's been back for hours now. And I'm STILL waiting! Anyway... Jonathan had just stepped out to meet the pizza delivery guy when Dr. EEG made his rounds. Of course I asked immediately if he had read the EEG. Of course he had. That's why he was there afterall. And I cried when he told me... that for the first time in almost two years. For the first time since this whole crazy mess began. my baby's EEG is completely normal! Side Note: It's super fun to sob in front of Japanese men and watch them squirm When I kept repeati...

I sure hope...

they grow back curly! Saw the "unknown" flashing on the face of my cell phone and knew who it was. Who it had to be. Dr. Fellow. My eyes met Grams' and I nodded. Grams has a pool, see. For super hot days like today. We're also having a septic installed. Which meant no water or facilities at my place. But those weren't really the reasons I was there. Close to mom. The purple ringing thing in my hand was. Only I wasn't prepared for it to be ringing SO darn soon. Shortly after lunch instead of dinner! I swallowed. Took a deep breath. And clicked connect. Dr. Fellow has a very nice phone tone. Clear. Hint of compassion. If only a stitch of humor were added...it'd be heavenly. But there was no humor. Just business. He's very direct. I'm learning that about him. Which explains his short hello. Followed by immediately pushing into the news. Being that it was a unanimous consensus. The entire surgical committee feels Trevor is a good candidate. And then p...

it's like being asked to the prom...

only MUCH MUCH bigger! I had noticed (yes...I stalk my site meter!) that a government ISP had logged onto Trevor's blog. Whoever it was had spent a good deal of time hanging out too. Followed a few minutes later by a government ISP...hailing from Washington. As in DC! My eyebrow raised. It was just kinda odd. Note-able odd. You know? Anyway...later that day (last week) I was folding laundry & thinking my crazy insane thoughts. Along these lines... I hope I'm not saying anything I shouldn't! Maybe I made somebody mad? Wait a minute! I live in America! I'm allowed to say anything I want! Aren't I???? A shout from the other room interrupted my thoughts before I had a chance to further mull. It was Jonathan. I had just received an email. **Side note...he's always doing that! Reading my emails! Sheesh!*** The said email was from a US Senator's aide! Asking if he could speak with me. Little ole' hardly has time to splash some make-up on ...