8.23.2017

logic and life in spite of seizures

Trevor will often blame seizures on random non-preferred activities.


If a seizure happens to occur while we're doing Math, for instance, he'll say, "That was a Math seizure. Math makes me have seizures."


Of if one strikes while I'm insisting he complete his chores I'll hear, "That was a chores seizure. Chores make me have seizures."


And so forth.


He's surprisingly logical for missing the "logical side" of the brain. A reminder that we still have so much to learn about the brain and perhaps we should approach brain science with humility. His arguments are cute and funny.


I gently remind him that I'm tracking his seizures and know that they happen randomly throughout the day and are not related to any particular activities. I hug him and express that we're going to live life in spite of seizures. I assure him that a healthy, robust life includes a blend of happy and hard activities. I'm pretty sure he's still bent on convincing me that these non-preferred tasks need to be nixed.


So, this morning his big brother is playing Wii with him and comes to inform me that Trevor just had a seizure event. Hot on his heels races Trevor to quickly add, "That a for no reason seizure. Not because Wii."


This boy.

No comments: